Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships: 2020-2021
Fullbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships are designed for outstanding Indians to pursue a master’s degree program at select U.S. colleges and universities in the areas of Arts and Culture Management including Heritage Conservation and Museum Studies; Economics; Environmental Science/Studies; Higher Education Administration; International Affairs; International Legal Studies; Public Administration; Public Health; Urban and Regional Planning; and Women’s Studies/Gender Studies.
These fellowships are for highly motivated individuals who demonstrate leadership qualities, have completed the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree, have at least three years professional work experience, and are committed to return and contribute to their communities. The fellowships are for one to two years.
The fellowship will provide the following benefits:
- J-1 visa support;
- Round-trip economy class air travel from fellow’s home city to the host institution in the U.S.
- Funding for tuition and fees*, living and related costs; and
- Accident and sickness coverage per U.S. Government guidelines.
The Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships provide no financial support for dependents.
* USIEF funding may not cover all costs and the scholar may need to supplement grant benefits with other resources.
In addition to the General Prerequisites, the applicants should:
- must have completed an equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognized Indian university with at least 55% marks. Applicants must either possess a four-year bachelor’s degree or a completed master’s degree, if the bachelor’s degree is of less than four years’ duration;
- must have at least three years’ full-time (paid) professional work experience relevant to your proposed field of study by the application deadline;
- should demonstrate experience in leadership and community service;
- must not have another degree from a U.S. university or be enrolled in a U.S. degree program; and
- if employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNMasters Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period.
Eligible Fields of Study
Each applicant should choose one field of study that matches his/her chief area of interest. The following field descriptions are illustrative and applicants should note that individual academic host institution programs of study may differ in course offerings, subspecialties, and academic requirements.
- Arts and Culture Management including Heritage Conservation and Museum Studies: The study of all aspects of art and culture management, including arts administration, heritage conservation and museum studies, management of profit and not-for-profit art institutions, among others. These fellowships are not for pursuing graduate degrees in fine or applied art and design or art history, but for the management of the arts.
- Economics: The study of production, demand and allocation of resources in society, economic trends, effects of government economic policy on the economy. Subspecialties include: development economics, international economics, macroeconomics, microeconomics, labor economics, agricultural economics, and public finance, among others.
- Environmental Science/Studies: The study of the environment in all its complexities. Subspecialties include: environmental toxicology, natural resource management, pollution prevention, environmental law, environmental engineering and environmental policy analysis, among others.
- Higher Education Administration: The study of all aspects of higher education administration including policy planning and management, student affairs, academic affairs, admissions and enrollment management, curriculum design, learning assessment, financial management, alumni and community relations, internationalization of higher education, quality assurance, use of technology in higher education, among others.
- International Affairs: The study of international relations with reference to foreign policy, conflict resolution, international security and strategic issues, international economic policy, environmental and energy policy, refugee and migration issues, human rights, and gender policy, among others.
- International Legal Studies: The study of all aspects of international legal studies including business law, commercial and trade law, employment and labor law, environmental law, global health law, human rights, intellectual property rights and law, international organizations, securities and financial regulations, litigation law, and tax law, among others.
- Public Administration: The study of management as it relates to the government sector (local, state, federal) or organizations serving the public. Subspecialties include: policy analysis, non-profit management, international development, public sector management, public finance, healthcare management, and city/urban development, among others.
- Public Health: The study of all aspects of public health including biostatistics, environmental and occupational health, epidemiology, health law, bioethics and human rights, health policy and management, public health delivery systems, international health, and reproductive, maternal and child health, among others.
- Urban and Regional Planning: The study of all aspects of urban and regional planning, including sustainable infrastructure, transportation policy, planning and improvements, water and sanitation, town and rural planning, equitability, public space programming and governance, land use, community visioning, urban resilience, housing and real estate development, and waste management, among others.
- Women’s Studies/Gender Studies: The study of issues relevant to women, feminism, and gender including development, health, history, education, sexuality, law, and policy, among others.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted online at: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2020
- Please carefully review the FNMaster’s Applicant Instructions before starting your online application
- Please refer to FNMaster’s Applicant Checklist before submitting the application
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online applicaiton:
FNMaster’s Applicant Annexure
FNMaster’s Employer’s Endorsement Form (if applicable)
Application Due Date: May 15, 2019, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)
Timeline and Placement Process
|May 15, 2019||Application due date for 2020-2021 awards|
|Mid-June 2019||Field-specific experts review applications to short-list candidates|
|Mid-August 2019||National interviews of short-listed candidates in Delhi|
|End-August 2019||USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees that they are recommended. Nominees take tests (such as TOEFL & GRE)|
|October 2019||USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement|
|March-April 2020||USIEF notifies finalists|
|May-June 2020||Pre-academic training in the U.S. (if required)|
|July-August 2020||Degree program begins|
Placement of successful candidates is done by the Institute of International Education (IIE), New York. Recommended applicants do not need to apply to U.S. institutions on their own. IIE/Fulbright Program will apply to four different institutions on their behalf, taking into consideration the candidates’ preferred institutions and the candidates’ competitiveness. If a recommended candidate has previously applied to U.S. institutions and has requested a deferral from the institution, the candidate must notify USIEF immediately.
You can apply for only ONE Fulbright-Nehru fellowship category during a competition cycle.
Plagiarism in the application will lead to disqualification.
Unless otherwise specified, Fulbright-Nehru applications are to be submitted online.
Applications received after the deadline will NOT be considered.
Extensions and Transfer of visa sponsorship will not be permitted.
- Address Fulbright-Nehru
- Job Page URL http://www.usief.org.in/Fulbright-Nehru-Master-Fellowships.aspx